Seven Secrets of Happiness
Allison Hewitt Is Trapped
Where Would I Be Without You?
Time of My Life
The Last Song
The Secret of Joy
To the Moon and Back
A Walk to Remember
Dear John
Twilight
Eclipse
New Moon
Breaking Dawn
Peaks and Valleys: Making Good And Bad Times Work For You--At Work And In Life
Seven Pleasures: Essays on Ordinary Happiness
Will You Be There?
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Snow Hill
Angels and Demons
The Da Vinci Code

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Dracula by Bram Stocker

Introduction: I have never read any classic, and was obliged to do so when the reading group I recently joined suggested that we read and discuss Dracula (as our Halloween gig ;p). I would really prefer the original version of Dracula by Bram Stocker, but its unavailable for me at the moment. So I decided to read the one edited by Jan Needle.

Overview: The story of the notorious vampire Count Dracula, lord of the "un-dead", who rises from his coffin at night to suck the blood of the living is, undoubtedly, the stuff of nightmares. A lunatic asylum, a bleak Transylvanian castle, an ancient cemetery...these are the dark backgrounds to the even darker deeds portrayed in this most bloodcurdling of tales.

My Opinion:  Although I didn't have the chance to read this book before a week ago, I certainly know the story as this has been made to a movie or a TV show or even became as a hand-down story from my parents or relatives. Dracula is indeed one of the most famous horror novel ever written. Set in the 19th Century Victorianism, it depicts how at that time men (without thinking twice) weep and risk their lives protecting the virtue of a lady they highly respect and adore. Although it was sad how they failed the battle against Dracula when Lucy died and became one of the "un-dead", atleast it showed their brotherhood and pure spirits in their struggle to rid Mina of the same fate. It wasn't really clear whose the protagonist in the story since Jonathan, Van Helsing and Dr. Seward seems to equally grace the story, each having their own remarkable identities. But I guess this made the story even more interesting as you can sympathize not only with one character but everyone in the story. I love Mina's character particularly her being a determined and brave lady, her being knowledgeable about things that surprises the men, and her love for her husband. This book is easy to read (since it has already been translated to suit the younger generations) despite the heavy setting, and the illustrations made a clear shot to my imagination. The headings in red, white pages with ‘blood-soaked’ borders and detailed pencil drawings are very dramatic and complements the story. Yet another book that kept me glued to my seat (well, bed literally).

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment