Seven Secrets of Happiness
Allison Hewitt Is Trapped
Where Would I Be Without You?
Time of My Life
The Last Song
The Secret of Joy
To the Moon and Back
A Walk to Remember
Dear John
Twilight
Eclipse
New Moon
Breaking Dawn
Peaks and Valleys: Making Good And Bad Times Work For You--At Work And In Life
Seven Pleasures: Essays on Ordinary Happiness
Will You Be There?
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Snow Hill
Angels and Demons
The Da Vinci Code

Friday, September 9, 2011

Where Would I Be Without You? by Guillaume Musso

Introduction: I trusted to read this book partially because I loved the first book I read by Guillaume Musso (Will You Be There). But to tell you honestly, the beginning part was fab. But the ending... well the least I can say is that, "it just didn't impress me much!" :p

Overview: Parisian cop Martin Beaumont has never really got over his first love, Gabrielle. Their brief, intense affair in San Francisco and the pain of her rejection still haunt him years later.
Now, however, he’s a successful detective – and tonight he’s going to arrest the legendary art thief, Archibald Maclean, when he raids the Musée d’Orsay for a priceless Van Gogh.
But the enigmatic Archibald has other plans.
Martin’s pursuit of the master criminal across Paris is the first step in an adventure that will take him back to San Francisco, and to the edge of love and life itself.

My opinion: This is a really ‘different’ read, with no clear genre to categorize it with. It’s a love story, a police thriller and then turns towards the paranormal at the end. So a bit of everything, really.
Set in Paris and San Franscisco in the mid 90s, the story revolves around Gabrielle and Martin – a young couple who met during their younger days and fell in love. The story leaps forward to find Martin working as  a French policeman with a special interest in art crime. Martin and Gabrielle have not met since that summer twelve years before and it is clear that both their lives has gone pretty empty and lonely.
Martin is determined to capture the famous art thief Archibald Maclean who has outsmarted him for many years. His chase led him back to San Francisco.

It’s an interesting read, a unique plot line and although I had guessed a couple of the twists, it’s an entertaining read.

The story enters into the paranormal at the close, which was for me, a safe way of explaining some things and tied the story up quite well, but on a personal level I really didn't like. Anyway, I still enjoyed reading this book. Its different, and some of you might just like it.

My rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment