Seven Secrets of Happiness
Allison Hewitt Is Trapped
Where Would I Be Without You?
Time of My Life
The Last Song
The Secret of Joy
To the Moon and Back
A Walk to Remember
Dear John
Twilight
Eclipse
New Moon
Breaking Dawn
Peaks and Valleys: Making Good And Bad Times Work For You--At Work And In Life
Seven Pleasures: Essays on Ordinary Happiness
Will You Be There?
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Snow Hill
Angels and Demons
The Da Vinci Code

Monday, September 19, 2011

The Last Song by Nicolas Sparks

Introduction: I decided to take it light for a couple of days because I know I will be busy with work. So I grabbed a book by Nicholas Sparks knowing that its going to be an easy read. I dont mean it any other way simply that Sparks' books had always been easy to follow type - predictable, true... but always heart-warming.

Overview: Seventeen year old Veronica "Ronnie" Miller's life was turned upside-down when her parents divorced and her father moved from New York City to Wilmington, North Carolina. Three years later, she remains angry and alienated from her parents, especially her father...until her mother decides it would be in everyone's best interest if she spent the summer in Wilmington with him. Ronnie's father, a former concert pianist and teacher, is living a quiet life in the beach town, immersed in creating a work of art that will become the centerpiece of a local church.
The tale that unfolds is an unforgettable story of love on many levels—first love, love between parents and children — that demonstrates, as only a Nicholas Sparks novel can, the many ways that love can break our hearts...and heal them.

My opinion: This book is exactly what I expected. From the first few pages, I already know how this is going to end.I dont actually like Ronnie's character at first (maybe that's because I am a daddy's girl). I hated how she treats her father, although understandably so... that's because she blames him for ruining their family. But as she evolved in the story and get to know her better, I started liking her. And although this book is exactly how I predicted it to be... and I didn't mean it in a bad way... it still filled me with loads of emotions in the end (knowing hoe melodramatic I can be :p). I know this story will be all about finding true love, seeking forgiveness, desire for second chances to make things right... and realization to never give up hope. I read so fast during the first few chapters only to be unable to finish it at once. I had to stop many times towards the end of the novel to wipe my tears. I was touched by this book, not mainly by Ronnie and Will's love story though... but by Ronnie and Steve's story of a great love shared between father and daughter. It left me with a feeling of gratitude to life - for all the things I have, for the things I lost... and for granting me a family others can only wish for.

My rating:

1 comment:

  1. I've read a few Sparks books and for the most part, I’ve really enjoyed them from beginning to end. However, The Last Song took me quite a while to get into, and I was very close to throwing in the towel and giving up.

    To be honest, I realized I went into reading it with a bad attitude. *is ashamed* I'll explain my resistance... two words... one person... Miley Cyrus. Not a huge fan of hers, so when I started this book, her image and voice resonated in my brain and it matched perfectly with Ronnie's (short for Veronica) character.

    ReplyDelete