Seven Secrets of Happiness
Allison Hewitt Is Trapped
Where Would I Be Without You?
Time of My Life
The Last Song
The Secret of Joy
To the Moon and Back
A Walk to Remember
Dear John
Twilight
Eclipse
New Moon
Breaking Dawn
Peaks and Valleys: Making Good And Bad Times Work For You--At Work And In Life
Seven Pleasures: Essays on Ordinary Happiness
Will You Be There?
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Snow Hill
Angels and Demons
The Da Vinci Code

Monday, September 5, 2011

To The Moon and Back by Jill Mansen

Introduction: To tell you the truth, I hesitated reading this book after reading the exerpts. But I always believe in giving chances, in hope that the novel will touch my heart somehow:

Overview: When Ellie Kendall tragically loses her husband she feels her life is over. But eventually she’s ready for a new start – at work, that is. She doesn’t need a new man when she has a certain secret visitor to keep her company...
Zack McLaren seems to have it all, but the girl he can’t stop thinking about won’t give him a second glance. If only she’d pay him the same attention she lavishes on his dog.
Moving to North London, Ellie meets neighbour Roo who has a secret of her own. Can the girls sort out their lives? Guilt is a powerful emotion, but a lot can happen in a year in Primrose Hill.


My opinion: To The Moon And Back is a sweet romantic contemporary novel about love, loss, and second chances. This is a story of one girl's struggle to go back living after having lost the only man she can possibly love. Often times we are faced with this kind of dilemma, when its hard for us to move on simply because we put what we have lost in a pedestal... believing so much that no other thing can replace it. 


Although this book is full of clich├ęs, personally I still found the book interesting because there were quite a few surprises on it, and I almost said "NOOO!" out loud a couple of times. In other words: typical "chick-lit", but I like those books, obviously or I wouldn't be reading them. :p

I like the idea of Ellie making her husband come back to engage a conversation with her. Its funny imagining talking to a make-believe husband, yet at the same time, its heartbreaking being in this situation when the only way you can be with the person you love so much is through your imagination. My favorite character was Roo, who undergoes a massive change during the book. But I liked her both before and after. She really is a bit too much - doing things we can hardly think of doing... and then drastically changing in ways we cannot even think possible! That's why I love her!


My rating: 

No comments:

Post a Comment