Seven Secrets of Happiness
Allison Hewitt Is Trapped
Where Would I Be Without You?
Time of My Life
The Last Song
The Secret of Joy
To the Moon and Back
A Walk to Remember
Dear John
Twilight
Eclipse
New Moon
Breaking Dawn
Peaks and Valleys: Making Good And Bad Times Work For You--At Work And In Life
Seven Pleasures: Essays on Ordinary Happiness
Will You Be There?
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Snow Hill
Angels and Demons
The Da Vinci Code

Friday, October 7, 2011

My Name Is Memory by Ann Brashares

Introduction: "Love demands everything, they say, but my love demands only this: that no matter what happens or how long it takes, you’ll keep faith in me, you’ll remember who we are, and you’ll never feel despair."
This book didn't make me cry like some of the books I read... but it touched me so deep it was impossible to stop reading. So that afternoon, instead of going shopping as planned, I never let go of this book until the end. I love most part of this book.   

Overview: Daniel has spent centuries falling in love with the same girl. Life after life, crossing continents and dynasties, he and Sophia (despite her changing name and form) have been drawn together-and he remembers it all. Daniel has "the memory", the ability to recall past lives and recognize souls of those he's previously known. It is a gift and a curse. For all the times that he and Sophia have been drawn together throughout history, they have also been torn painfully, fatally, apart. A love always too short.

Interwoven through Sophia and Daniel's unfolding present day relationship are glimpses of their expansive history together. From 552 Asia Minor to 1918 England and 1972 Virginia, the two souls share a long and sometimes torturous path of seeking each other time and time again. But just when young Sophia (now "Lucy" in the present) finally begins to awaken to the secret of their shared past, to understand the true reason for the strength of their attraction, the mysterious force that has always torn them apart reappears. Ultimately, they must come to understand what stands in the way of their love if they are ever to spend a lifetime together.

A magical, suspenseful, heartbreaking story of true love, My Name is Memory proves the power and endurance of a union that was meant to be.


My Opinion: There are so many wonderful things I can say about this book. Brashares really did a good job in bringing the story not only around the world but in different era (past and present) as well. Despite of the changes in the time-period, it wasn't confusing and the setting always felt authentic. Maybe one of the reasons why I like this book is that I had always been fascinated by the belief of reincarnation. Added by the twist that Daniel can remember all his past lives and he used that ability to find the girl he wants to be with... the story, I can say, is indeed engaging. Plus, the way it was written is so clear and so believable that I didn't have a hard time following the plot. I also like Ben's character and how wise he is... especially when he pointed out that we all have to live at the moment, otherwise its not living. Although seriously, I wish the ending could have been better. And I wish there was atleast a part in the book that thoroughly introduced Joaquim, how he can steal bodies and how he found Lucy. But anyway, since everyone else is saying that this book is a part of a trilogy... then I guess I just gotta have to wait for the next 2 for some closure. ;)

My Rating: 

No comments:

Post a Comment