Seven Secrets of Happiness
Allison Hewitt Is Trapped
Where Would I Be Without You?
Time of My Life
The Last Song
The Secret of Joy
To the Moon and Back
A Walk to Remember
Dear John
Twilight
Eclipse
New Moon
Breaking Dawn
Peaks and Valleys: Making Good And Bad Times Work For You--At Work And In Life
Seven Pleasures: Essays on Ordinary Happiness
Will You Be There?
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Snow Hill
Angels and Demons
The Da Vinci Code

Monday, November 21, 2011

The Gift by Cecelia Ahern

Introduction: 2 weeks to finish reading this book... what a shame! Oh busy life... :( Its sad that it took me so long to reach the ending of this book. Coz it was really touching... magical if I may say. I was literally sobbing while going through the last chapter. Not that its something new, its so easy to make me cry anyway... especially when its a story about family struggles.

Overview: Lou Suffern is practiced in the art of concealment. He is, also, always overstretched, trying to do too many things at once. His overburdened schedule gives him few moments of peace, even in his sleep. And when he spends time at home with his wife and family, he is always distracted, and, mentally, somewhere else.
On a cold winter morning, Lou is on his way to work when he encounters Gabe, a homeless street dweller, sitting outside an office building. Lou is intrigued by him, and contrives to get him a job in the post room. But this act of charity rebounds on him, and Gabe’s presence begins to grate on Lou -- particularly when he discovers that the latter seems capable of being in two places at the same time. Christmas is drawing near, and before the season is over, Lou’s life will be irrevocably change by the casual act of kindness he has performed.


My Opinion: Lou is a selfish jerk who thinks only about his career, and everyone else around him just nods and dont do anything about it. Then along came Gabe who gave him the gift to be in two places at the same time. I dont like Gabe... there's just too much mystery thrown in that he became vague as a character. Some situations are very improbable, but hey... its fiction, right? So whatever... :p Anyway, the ending, like what I said earlier, is very touching indeed.

This book will make you question your priorities, and make us see the sad truth that most of us neglect the really important things in life. Since its almost Christmas (a month or so away from now)... this book is a perfect read. Perhaps this will help us celebrate this season in a more meaningful way.

I guess the last thing I can say about the story is... we are no different from Lou. Most of the times we are so busy trying to reach our dreams - to be number one at work and be the best in what we do... that often times we forget to be the best in the MORE important things - like being the best daughter or son, the best mom or dad, the best sister or brother, the best wife or husband. Cliche as it may be, but there are far more important things than money.

Lets not be like Lou, and wait for his dying moment before he started telling his family how much they meant to him. Everyday, let the people we truly love know that they are what matters most to us. Because not only dont we have the magic pill to give us a second chance, we also dont have the privilege of knowing how much time we have left in this world. So lets not waste a second.


My Rating: 

11 comments:

  1. Hey Yla,

    I love your ratings! Haha, they're very unique.:)

    CYP

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your review and the message you are emphasizing. I totally agree that we should sort out our priorities and be the best person we should be to our loved ones because at the end of the day, work doesn't really matter that much, but our family does.

    Your new GFC follower,

    Nancy @ Simple Clockwork
    http://www.nancycudis.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am a new fashion blogger from indonesia living in singapore :) i really like your blog. i will really appreciate & it will be an honor to have u as my blog member (blog follower)

    and of course i will folback!:D also, u can mention me anytime on twitter @tiodang if you want me to check out your latest post & leave a comment ^^ ,please list me on twitter, so i will know u're my follower!! ;)

    i've just recommend your post to google!u can check it! that's what u got if you keep in touch with my blog too!! hope u will do the same ^^
    (u can add me on facebook and contact me at : cheeringwinda@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I followed you please follow me back! http://kwmccabe.blogspot.com - I have the first couple chapters of my new teen romance posted on my blog for free :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exciting review! I promise not to be like Lou, hehe. I am in love with your rating images... cute little girls, hehe! :D

    Aya ♥ Strawberry Koi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the rating system you have with the girls instead of stars. So cool! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome review!!! New follower :)

    Books Ahoy (www.books-ahoy.blogspot.com)
    Blogovation Design (www.blogovationdesign.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the comment you left on my blog! I have read several of Cecelia Ahern's books and it seems like we have a similar reaction-- her premises are always intriguing, but her characters and character development don't always fulfill the promise of the book's setup.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This seems like a really good book! I love the cover! New follower!!

    Tia @ Falling For Books

    ReplyDelete