Seven Secrets of Happiness
Allison Hewitt Is Trapped
Where Would I Be Without You?
Time of My Life
The Last Song
The Secret of Joy
To the Moon and Back
A Walk to Remember
Dear John
Twilight
Eclipse
New Moon
Breaking Dawn
Peaks and Valleys: Making Good And Bad Times Work For You--At Work And In Life
Seven Pleasures: Essays on Ordinary Happiness
Will You Be There?
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Snow Hill
Angels and Demons
The Da Vinci Code

Monday, December 12, 2011

The Opposite Of Me by Sarah Pekkanen

Introduction: I finished this book in 12 hours! ;) One of my best records, I do believe :p Anyway, this book is an easy read - funny and light. I don't have a sister... but now I wish I have one. Really! :) 

Overview:
Twenty-nine-year-old Lindsey Rose has, for as long as she can remember, lived in the shadow of her ravishingly beautiful fraternal twin sister, Alex. Determined to get noticed, Lindsey is finally on the cusp of being named VP creative director of an elite New York advertising agency, after years of eighty-plus-hour weeks, migraines, and profound loneliness. But during the course of one devastating night, Lindsey’s carefully constructed life implodes. Humiliated, she flees the glitter of Manhattan and retreats to the time warp of her parents’ Maryland home. As her sister plans her lavish wedding to her Prince Charming, Lindsey struggles to maintain her identity as the smart, responsible twin while she furtively tries to piece her career back together. But things get more complicated when a long-held family secret is unleashed that forces both sisters to reconsider who they are and who they are meant to be.
My Opinion: I like most part of this book... especially the early parts. Its not boring, and the flow is engaging. Although every once in a while I hate all the cliche that flood this book - like a supermodel sister who is nothing but graceful and drop-dead gorgeous, a bestfriend whose dashingly good looking, a stranger who turned her world upside-down. Seriously! Although I like how Sarah established the differences between Alex and Lindsey, and often times I can sympathize with Lindsey with everything that she's going through... but I just feel that this book needs a little more depth. I end up wishing I had written the ending instead.. I would love Alex to masterminded everything (since she is the genius anyway) and that she pretended to be the pretty but dumb just so Lindsey can have her own identity of being the smart sister.
Anyway, this story tells us that more often than not, when we compete with other people... we are letting them dictate who we should be. In the end, we lose not only our identity as a person... but to choice to choose the path that makes us happy.
Just like what Matt said... in life, there are times when the only right thing to do... is to "Jump!"


My Rating:

1 comment:

  1. Interesting blog. I like your rating system. Something new and rather exciting. Says a lot about you. And I also like your 'about me' profile. You sound very interesting. I believe in angels too, and that everything happens for a reason, like me finding your blog.
    Enjoy always, T

    ReplyDelete