Seven Secrets of Happiness
Allison Hewitt Is Trapped
Where Would I Be Without You?
Time of My Life
The Last Song
The Secret of Joy
To the Moon and Back
A Walk to Remember
Dear John
Twilight
Eclipse
New Moon
Breaking Dawn
Peaks and Valleys: Making Good And Bad Times Work For You--At Work And In Life
Seven Pleasures: Essays on Ordinary Happiness
Will You Be There?
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Snow Hill
Angels and Demons
The Da Vinci Code

Monday, January 2, 2012

Behind the Hood by Marita Hansen

Introduction: I'm honored to be one of the chosen to review this book. I had always been intrigued by the title, and more so by what this book can offer. Well, I can tell you this... it takes a great author to weave such a great book! :) 

Overview: New Zealand author Marita A. Hansen weaves a breathtaking tale of revenge and violence in the first book from the new series Behind the Lives.

A gang leader, a hapless teenage girl, a young father struggling to support his wife and baby, an abused boy and more give different sides to a harrowing tale that could be told anywhere in the world.

It will leave you breathless.


My Opinion: When a friend of mine asked me what I think about this book, all I said was that it kept me heavy-hearted during the entire time I was reading. Not in a bad way though - but because it was written so vividly I can even say it felt so much like everything is happening right before me. 

Each chapter is told by different characters, and surprisingly enough, each voice is owned, authentic - and sounded so much like being told by different persons. You get to peek into the minds of all characters - understanding their actions and decisions - and being able to sympathize with them. It made me attached to the characters - hurting when they get hurt, feeling scared when they are scared, and angry when they are. It allowed me to live their lives in such a short time that I engaged myself reading the book. Kudos to the author for this, as its not easy to be changing voices and give identity to each and everyone of them.  

My heart goes out to all the characters - and hated Tama from the very first chapter to the last. His desire to avenge the wrong things done to him or to his mates, to own the girl he believed to really love, and to keep his gang together and loyal to him - he is a lost soul, but let me say a hopeless one too. His distorted view of the world around him explained why he is a very effective antagonist.

This novel is painfully honest - showing us a different side of teenage life, the one entangled with sex and violence. It may be too much for some, but I'd definitely recommend this as a very good read. This is a story with a roller coaster of emotions - and the best part is - you get to feel each and everyone of them. Marita did a great job, definitely cant wait for her next books!

My Rating:


2 comments:

  1. This is a really great review! I found your link on BookBlogs and am now a follower! I hope you consider following me! http://authorjess.blogspot.com/2012/01/its-my-birthday-month.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I just gave you a Versatile Blogger Award. Go here to get your award: http://falln2books.blogspot.com/2012/01/i-just-won-award.html

    ReplyDelete