Seven Secrets of Happiness
Allison Hewitt Is Trapped
Where Would I Be Without You?
Time of My Life
The Last Song
The Secret of Joy
To the Moon and Back
A Walk to Remember
Dear John
Twilight
Eclipse
New Moon
Breaking Dawn
Peaks and Valleys: Making Good And Bad Times Work For You--At Work And In Life
Seven Pleasures: Essays on Ordinary Happiness
Will You Be There?
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Snow Hill
Angels and Demons
The Da Vinci Code

Monday, January 30, 2012

Breakfast In Bed by Eleanor Moran

Introduction: I kinda like the title of this book... oh, the hopeless romantic in me. Haha. Well, I honestly didn't know what to expect when I started reading. All I knew was that Amber will be torn between someone from her past, and someone she can actually share a future with. So there I go... reading this book... which took me forever to finish... and its not really a good thing.

Overview: TAKE ONE NEWLY SINGLE WOMAN: At 31, Amber is being bombarded with wedding invitations just as she's collecting her divorce papers - and her bossy best friend has gone one step further and made her chief bridesmaid. It's high time Amber regained control of her life - so she goes after the career she's always dreamed of as a top chef.

ADD A PASSIONATE AND FIERY CELEBRITY COOK: Amber's joy at landing herself a coveted role in Oscar Retford's kitchen soon fades as she discovers Oscar is as famous for his furious temper and addiction to firing people as he is for the legendary meals he creates.

TURN UP THE HEAT: Keen to keep herself out of the firing line, and to avoid thinking about why her marriage crashed and burned, Amber throws herself into her job. But as passions start to run high, and her past catches up with her, it looks like Amber's cooked up a recipe for disaster.


My Opinion: As I was reading this book, I keep having this urge to stop and give up. Not that I dont like the story... but coz... well... I dont like how the story is progressing. It was okay until I realized everything is just so predictable. Predictable in a sense that its either a cliche or something overrated. Oscar - the chef with a deadly charm but with a temper that can blow the chili out of his kitchen. Milly - the bestfriend whose rich beyond imaginable and doesn't know what to do with her money. Dom - the philandering husband who blame it all on the wife for not having enough time to be around. Lydia (Oscar's wife) - the exact definition of vogue woman. And etc. 

So what made me continue?... Its because there are things intriguing enough for me - like is Oscar really sincere? What's the deal with him and the wife? Is Dom really a lying prick? And as I was looking for this answers, I came across the scene when one of Amber's friend Marsha is having her engagement party - when Marsha acknowledging her efforts, and Milly helping out in the kitchen, and then there's Dom making things a little easier for her despite the pressure. So when Amber said... "I love my friends"... at least that part, I sincerely felt. And after that, I soften up a little... that when Amber was conversing with her mom about what happened to them and why they ended up distant to each other... I actually cried. Also, I like the kitchen setting. I can honestly feel the tension - makes me hungry. Lol.

Anyway, in my opinion, I think the ending is what saved the book. Although it ain't perfect (like what the hell - Milly and Oscar?)... but its believable. Its not the ending we would all like - but its a hopeful one. Its a leap of faith, trusting in a love that we once believed upon. Being in a relationship is not easy - and it will never be perfect - but if we pick up lessons from all the mistakes (whether the ones we did or the ones done to us) - we'll be okay. And that's what this book's ending has taught me. :)



My Rating: 

5 comments:

  1. Dropping by from BookBlogs

    Breakfast in Bed? man the title itself is awesome!!!

    Gotta read the book sometime!!

    Don't forget to visit me at Another Author

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!

    I'm a Singapore Book Blogger too! I stumbled upon your blog and was delighted to find another book blogger from S'pore! I haven't seen any SG book blogger around so if you know any, do drop me a message!

    I'm a new fan and follower :)

    All the best for your blog! I'll stay tuned!

    Sel @ www.mystorywithyouandher.blogspot.com

    I'd love it if you can drop by and tell me what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear! Oh my! I absolutely love your rating system characters!!
    I love your blog too, and would love it if you would check out my blog. I'm just getting started and it is really hard to get any circulation around. I would greatly appreciate the help in spreading the word, I'll be spreading the word on yours, I love how you write your reviews and the varieties you have in your books.
    I also have another blog that is slightly older and I post, now mostly original poetry or how my day was, or scenes/chapters from play's/books of my original work. I would appreciate your feedback on whether you my poetry/writing is any good.

    Book Review Blog:
    http://theperfectherald.blogspot.com/

    Personal/ Poetry Blog:
    http://annaaainafairytalee.blogspot.com/

    Fondly,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, cute blog. I think I might like this book but since I have not read any of the authors books I am not sure so I will check into it. Thanks for sharing it. Have a nice day and I stopped by from the Book Ning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this book sounds so interesting! Great review :)


    Here's mine:
    Possession of Books

    ReplyDelete